Dear McKenzie Families,
Many of you are following the news of the COVID-19 virus (Coronavirus) that has recently turned up in Oregon. So far, three cases have been identified. You can review statewide tracking here. The Centers for Disease Control, the Oregon Health Authority and Lane County Public Health consider the risk to most Oregonians to be low.
Know that McKenzie School District is in contact with state and local officials monitoring the situation and are following their guidance as well as planning potential impacts of an outbreak in our area. School health services staff as well as our custodial/maintenance team have met and reviewed available guidance and best practices in ensuring a clean and safe environment.
Currently, McKenzie has no plans to close school. Know that if public health authorities recommend a closure we will do so and communicate with families as soon as possible. This will include phone calls, text messages, emails, social media, notifications on the school app as well as television and radio. If you have recently changed your contact info, please contact the school offices and make sure we have your updated information.
What you can do: If your child is sick, please keep them home and notify the school. Public health officials recommend taking the following precautions to stay healthy and prevent the spread of respiratory illnesses including coronavirus:
• Stay home when you are sick.
• Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue and then throw it in the trash.
• Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If that's not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
• Sanitize frequently touched objects and surfaces with a cleaning wipe or spray.
• Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
• Take care of your health overall. Staying current on your vaccinations, including flu vaccine, eating well, and exercising all help your body stay resilient.
• If you plan to travel outside of the U.S., consult CDC’s travel website for any travel advisories and steps to protect yourself.
• In the face of rumors, check a reliable information source such as www.oregon.gov/oha.
Finally, the novel coronavirus started spreading in China, and there have been some reports around the state about bullying and discrimination against Asians and Asian-Americans. We ask that you and your family be mindful that bullying of students based on race, color, national origin, or disability is unacceptable in our school district.
We will provide you with updates and information on our district website as we learn more: www.mckenziesd.org
Please find linked below reliable information regarding COVID-19
Oregon Health Authority Fact Sheet
Oregon Health Authority COVID19 Learn the Facts Video
Oregon Health Authority Understanding COVID19 Video